Essentially, simple PHP frameworks help you build solid programs without composing huge amounts of code. They allow you to get fully-functioning apps up and running quickly, which is precisely what we’re aiming for when trying to start and grow a business.
Why should I use PHP framework?
Why use a PHP framework? A PHP framework provides a basic structure for streamlining the development of web apps. We use them because they speed up the development process. Above all, the responsiveness of websites and applications built using PHP frameworks helps businesses fulfill their performance needs.
What is the best framework to build a PHP web application?
Top 10 PHP Frameworks
- Laravel. Laravel is one of the more popular PHP frameworks.
- Laminas Project. Laminas Project, formally known as Zend, is a ‘glue’ framework.
- CodeIgniter. CodeIgniter is another popular PHP framework.
- Slim. Slim is a PHP micro framework.
What is the easiest PHP framework?
CodeIgniter is the top choice for a beginner-friendly PHP framework that is easy to use and quick to learn. It works on the MVC architecture, is easy to install, offers several guides and is easy to understand for beginners to get started with developing web applications on PHP.
What is framework in PHP for beginners?
A PHP Framework is a basic platform that allows us to develop web applications. In other words, it provides structure. By using a PHP Framework, you will end up saving loads of time, stopping the need to produce repetitive code, and you’ll be able to build applications rapidly (RAD).
What problems do PHP frameworks solve?
In other words, PHP frameworks help to promote rapid application development (RAD), which saves you time, helps build more stable applications, and reduces the amount of repetitive coding for developers.
Which PHP framework is based on MVC architecture?
Phalcon is one of the fastest PHP frameworks available. It’s very lightweight and uses an MVC architecture.
Which PHP framework is fastest?
CodeIgniter also has the reputation for being the fastest PHP framework for web development. If a web app revolves around data management, CodeIgniter is the best PHP framework as well. Using CodeIgniter, it is easy to create, insert, update, and delete coding statements without writing raw SQL.
What PHP framework does Facebook use?
Facebook have developed a PHP compiler called hiphop.
What PHP framework does WordPress use?
The Themosis framework is a custom WordPress stack. It provides an object oriented development structure to code professional WordPress applications and is bundled with helper classes built on top of some of the most popular PHP packages: Symfony, Illuminate and more.
Is PHP popular in 2021?
PHP is one of the most popular and highly used languages even in 2021, years after its initial release. PHP programming is getting increasingly better with more relevant tools being provided by PHP with recent upgrades to assist the growing need for complex web environments.
Is PHP still relevant in 2021?
Is PHP Still Relevant in 2021? Unequivocally, yes. PHP powers content management systems, eCommerce, customer rights management, and resource management systems.
Does Facebook still use PHP 2021?
Facebook still uses PHP, but it has built a compiler for it so it can be turned into native code on its web servers, thus boosting performance. Facebook uses Linux, but has optimized it for its own purposes (especially in terms of network throughput).
What is PHP MVC framework?
What is PHP MVC framework? PHP MVC is an application design pattern that separates the application data and business logic (model) from the presentation (view). MVC stands for Model, View & Controller. The controller mediates between the models and views. Think of the MVC design pattern as a car and the driver.
Is laravel still relevant in 2021?
In 2021, Laravel has gone through so many upgrades. Its functionalities and features have developed so well that it has become the hot favorite PHP framework for web application development.
What is the difference between library and framework?
A library is essentially a set of functions that you can call, these days usually organized into classes. Each call does some work and returns control to the client. A framework embodies some abstract design, with more behavior built in.
Discussing PHP Frameworks: What, When, Why and Which?
PHP is the most popular programming language in the world for a variety of reasons, including its versatility and ease of use. However, writing in PHP, or any language for that matter, may get dull and repetitive after a while. A PHP framework can be of assistance in this situation. PHP frameworks simplify the construction of web applications written in PHP by providing a basic structure on which to build the web applications. PHP frameworks are available for free download. Instead, PHP frameworks aid in the promotion of rapid application development (RAD).
Additionally, frameworks may assist novice developers in creating more reliable apps by assuring correct database interaction and code on the display layer of the application.
Model View Controller is the term used to describe the overall concept that underpins the operation of a PHP framework (MVC).
MVC is a model-view-controller architecture in which the Model represents data, View represents the display layer, and Controller represents the application or business logic.
Essentially, this makes PHP coding more efficient and less complex to understand.
Why Should we use a PHP Framework?
PHP frameworks should be used by developers for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is to speed up the development process as much as possible. The developer will save a significant amount of time and work if he or she can reuse code across several similar projects. By providing pre-built modules for repetitive coding chores, frameworks allow developers to focus their efforts on designing the actual application rather than having to re-create the foundation with each new project.
- Despite the fact that one of PHP’s greatest benefits is its simplicity, which is one of the reasons so many people want to use this scripting language, it may also be one of its most significant drawbacks.
- If you use PHP, your application will almost always continue to function properly; nevertheless, you may have unwittingly created a significant security flaw in your code that is vulnerable to attack.
- At long last, the availability of PHP frameworks is wide, with a large number of various frameworks to pick from.
- Additionally, you should always assess your project to see whether or not you should even utilize a framework in the first place.
Will the app’s performance improve as a result? Will it have a positive impact on stability? You may find that a PHP framework is the best solution for your particular project if you can answer yes to any of the questions above.
When to use a PHP Framework?
This is a popular question among expert and novice developers equally, and there isn’t a straightforward solution to the subject. Since a result, it may be a good idea to use PHP frameworks wherever feasible, as they will provide more simplicity as well as higher reliability for many newcomers. It will aid in the reduction or elimination of faulty code and the acceleration of the development process. Many skilled PHP programmers, on the other hand, consider frameworks to be tools for “weak” programmers who do not understand how to build decent, clean code.
In order to meet tight deadlines on a project, it is quite beneficial to use an open-source PHP framework, which may significantly speed up the development process.
If you’re working on projects that need a significant quantity of repetitive writing, PHP frameworks should be considered because they will make the process much less laborious.
What to Look for in a PHP Framework?
Anybody who is looking for PHP frameworks will find many of alternatives accessible to them. There is also the possibility of designing your own framework, however this is only suggested for PHP professionals. When looking for the PHP framework that is most appropriate for your requirements, it is crucial to consider who will be utilizing and/or updating your apps from the ground up. The adoption of a well-known PHP framework that many developers are acquainted with may be preferable when there will be many individuals who will be utilizing the application.
The following are some of the characteristics to look for in a PHP framework: ease of use, quick development/performance, popularity among other developers, powerful features, and support/forums.
All frameworks are slightly different and have diverse strengths and limitations; for example, Zend Framework has been around since V3 and is packed with features, as well as having a comprehensive support structure in place due to the fact that it has been there for such a long time.
As you can see, each sort of PHP framework has its own set of advantages, so it’s advisable to experiment with a few different options until you find the one that works best for you.
The ease-of-use, functionality, support available, extent of the community around the framework, and any shortcomings of a certain framework will be informed by those who have actually used the framework.
Most Common Mistakes When Using a PHP Framework
Even in the most complex programming languages, mistakes are conceivable; nevertheless, PHP frameworks assist to reduce the likelihood of these mistakes by providing high-quality code that has been tried and tested from the very beginning of the development process. Frameworks almost remove the problem of repetitive code, which appears to encourage mistakes every now and again. Having said that, there are still some factors to be aware of while employing any PHP framework, regardless of its popularity.
There are several frameworks available that have little or no support, and/or they were developed by persons with just rudimentary knowledge of the PHP programming language.
The failure to ensure that your database and web server are compatible with the particular framework is another somewhat typical blunder to make.
- PHP: PHP 4.3.0 is the bare minimum
- Subsequent versions, as well as PHP 5.1.1 and above, are also acceptable. Anything in the 5.0.x series should be avoided
- MySQL:MySQL 4.0.x, 4.1.x, and 5.0.x are all supported versions of MySQL. Alternatively, 3.23.x can be used
- Apache:Seagull is compatible with the 1.3.x and 2.x generations of Apache
It is unlikely that you will be witnessing the greatest performance available from your selected framework if you do not adhere to these guidelines. Even if you are an expert in PHP, you should always check the documentation of the framework to ensure that it is compatible with your environment before attempting to use it. The same as the previously mentioned common error, failing to follow the suggested installation method of your PHP framework will cause you to experience some difficulties in the future.
The key is to take your time setting up the framework and to follow the installation instructions to the letter – the time you’ll save later on when you’re actually developing applications will more than make up for the few extra minutes you’ll spend making sure the framework is installed correctly the first time.
What are the Best PHP Frameworks Available?
As PHP has grown in popularity as the programming language of choice for most developers over the past several years, there has been a corresponding increase in the number of PHP frameworks that have emerged. There is a great deal of discussion regarding which PHP frameworks are the best, since the simple reality is that not every framework is designed to meet the needs of every developer. A short review of the five greatest and most popular options available right now is as follows:
The Zend Framework
The Zend Framework has a large popularity within the development community and is mostly used to create web 2.0-style apps and websites. Zend is referred to be “The PHP Company” because of the large number of people who use their software, the substantial support they provide, and the number of active users.
Zend is one of the most popular PHP frameworks available today, if not the most popular. In addition to requiring substantial PHP expertise, it contains a number of sophisticated capabilities that are designed for corporate-level development.
CakePHPis an excellent alternative for PHP developers of all levels, from beginners to experts. In fact, it’s founded on the same design ideas that underpin Ruby on Rails, and it’s mainly focused on quick development, making it a wonderful framework to utilize for rapid application development. CakePHP is one of the most popular PHP frameworks available today, because to its fast developing support system, simplicity, and scalability, among other factors.
Symfony is geared for more experienced developers whose primary goal is to construct enterprise-level applications, such as Askeet and Yahoo! Bookmarks. This free source PHP framework is packed with capabilities and is capable of doing it all; nevertheless, its primary drawback is that it is significantly slower than other frameworks.
Codelgniter is well-known for the ease with which it may be used, as well as its performance and quickness. For the same reason why Symfony is suitable for shared hosting accounts, this PHP framework is also ideal for when you want a framework with a minimal footprint. It provides straightforward answers, as well as a vast collection of video lessons, forums, a user guide, and a wiki for users to go to for assistance. Codelgniter is a good choice for beginners because of its simplicity.
Seagull is a well-established PHP framework that may be used to create online, command-line, and graphical user interface (GUI) applications. In addition to being incredibly user-friendly, it is also perfect for coders of all levels, from beginners to experts. In addition to a collection of sample applications that can be adapted to meet your specific requirements, Seagull provides a slew of alternatives for specialists, including best practices, industry standards, and a modular codebase, for swiftly and simply developing web apps.
Php frameworks are a fantastic tool for web developers of all skill levels since they decrease the amount of repetitious writing required, accelerate the development process, and assure appropriate coding while developing online applications. Besides accelerating the creation of sophisticated apps, this also improves PHP security by lowering the likelihood of security vulnerabilities being introduced into code. While some professional PHP coders do not believe that frameworks are necessary for developing web applications, frameworks may nevertheless be beneficial in cases when quick development is required, such as while working under strict deadlines.
Due to the large number of PHP frameworks available today, developers are certain to find a framework that meets their requirements in terms of functionality and support as well as performance, scaleability, and other factors.
The Zend Framework, CakePHP, Symfony, Codelgniter, and Seagull are some of the most popular PHP frameworks currently in use by developers, among others.
Author: Joel Reyes
Looney Designer is a web design resource and portfolio site that focuses on online and graphic design. Joel Reyes has been designing and creating web sites for numerous years, which has led him to be the creative genius behind the site. This article was initially written on July 26, 2009, and it was last updated on August 4, 2020, according to the author.
10 Popular PHP frameworks for web developers to consider in 2021
This item was first published in November 2018 and has been updated. PHP, which stands for hypertext preprocessor, is a server-side scripting language that is free and open-source. It’s also incredibly popular – as of August 2021, PHP was being used by about 80% of all websites, with no signs of slowing off any time in the foreseeable future. It’s completely free to download and use, yet it’s strong enough to power some of the most popular websites on the web (WordPress, Facebook, and Wikipedia just to name a few).
When it comes to developing PHP code, there is currently a thriving ecosystem of frameworks available to make your life simpler.
And how do you determine which PHP framework is the most appropriate for your needs?
Keep an eye out for PHP problems and performance issues that are affecting your end-experience user’s on your website or application.
Why use a PHP framework?
A PHP framework is a fundamental structure that helps to streamline the creation of web-based applications. We utilize them because they allow us to complete the development process more quickly. In addition to this, the responsiveness of websites and apps developed using PHP frameworks helps organizations meet their performance requirements. Consequently, there is little question that PHP frameworks will continue to gain attention and appeal during 2019.
What should you look for in a framework?
Several characteristics should be considered while selecting a PHP framework, and these are as follows: For further information, see the 10 criteria for selecting the most appropriate framework. You should think about the following things at a high level:
- In addition, because frameworks are usually community-driven, ensuring that there is an active community to maintain and enhance a framework is an enormously significant advantage. What is the philosophy of the framework and what is it attempting to accomplish? If it does not align with your own company requirements and objectives, you may want to consider finding an alternate solution. Continued Support: Is the framework regularly maintained, and will it be able to support your technology stack both now and in the future? Is there someone or anything you can turn to for help if you have any questions or concerns? This point will frequently be tied back to the popularity and community size requirements, so keep that in mind. To assist you in navigating any challenges you may find, documentation and online resources should be made available to you.
If you really want to make a decision, the best course of action is to just try them out. I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to experiment with these frameworks before incorporating them into your technology stack. You are not need to test each and every alternative, but you should strive to reduce it down to two or three possibilities and experiment with them. They could take you by surprise!
10 of the best PHP frameworks
Listed below is a ranking of the greatest PHP frameworks, based on their popularity and their ability to make application development easier.
Since its introduction in 2011, Laravel has grown to become the most widely used free and open-source PHP framework in the world.
Why? Because it can handle complicated web applications safely and at a much faster rate than other frameworks, it is a popular choice. Laravel streamlines the development process by making typical tasks such as routing, sessions, caching, and authentication easier to do.
Reasons to use Laravel
- Laravel is an excellent choice for designing apps with complicated backend requirements, whether they are small or huge in scale. With the release of Homestead, a prefabricated, all-in-oneevagrant box, the installation of Laravel has been simplified. Laravel is a PHP framework with a wealth of functionality that will assist you in customizing complicated applications. Among these are seamless data transfer, support for the MVC architecture, security, routing, a view template engine, and authentication, to name a few of the features. Laravel is a very expressive framework, and its performance and security are on par with what one would expect from a modern online application. Laravel is the framework of choice for developers who want to create B2B or enterprise websites that will adapt in response to shifting online trends.
CodeIgniter is a PHP framework that is well-known for its tiny footprint (it’s just approximately 2 MB in size, including the documentation). It is particularly well-suited for constructing dynamic websites. Numerous pre-built modules are available to assist in the construction of strong and reusably designed components.
Reasons to use CodeIgniter
- CodeIgniter is a lightweight and uncomplicated PHP framework that, in contrast to other frameworks, is simple to install. Because of the straightforward setup procedure and extensively documented instructions, it is an excellent choice for novices. The MVC framework, good error handling, built-in security mechanisms, and easy and excellent documentation are just a few of the notable features. Additionally, it allows for the development of scalable applications
- As compared to other frameworks, CodeIgniter is far faster. Because it also provides excellent performance, it is an excellent choice when developing lightweight apps that will operate on low-end servers. However, there is one caveat: CodeIgniter updates are sporadic, which means the framework isn’t a good choice for applications that require high levels of security.
It was introduced in 2005, and despite the fact that it has been in existence for a much longer period of time than the other frameworks on our list, it is a very dependable and mature platform. Symfony is a comprehensive PHP MVC framework, and it is the only framework that is known to adhere to PHP and web standards to an exacting degree.
Reasons to use Symfony
- If you’re working on large-scale corporate projects, Symfony is the ideal framework for you. It is simple to install and setup on the majority of systems
- One of its important characteristics is that it is free. It’s a collection of reusable PHP components. It also touts database engine independence, as well as being reliable, compliant with the majority of web best practices and design patterns, and allowing for integration with other vendor libraries, among other features. Symfony is also quite adaptable, and it can be integrated with larger projects like as Drupal. Symfony and Laravel have a number of characteristics that distinguish them from one another, making it difficult to determine which framework is superior.
However, whereas Laravel focuses on simplicity and offering value to developers of all skill levels, Symfony is geared for skilled developers and is a bit more difficult to learn. Aside from that, the Symfony security mechanism might be a little tough to work with at times. In addition, because it allows developers to “do it all,” it might be more time-consuming than other frameworks.
When it comes to a toolset that is both basic and elegant, there is no better place to look. CakePHP will assist you in the development of aesthetically appealing and feature-rich websites. As an added bonus and mostly due to its usage of the CRUD framework (create, read, update, and delete), CakePHP is one of the simplest frameworks to learn and use. CakePHP first appeared on the market in the early 2000s, and it has since received improved performance as well as a slew of new features.
Reasons to use CakePHP
- As long as you have a web server and a copy of the framework, CakePHP is simple and easy to install
- It is a good choice for commercial applications because of its security features, which include SQL injection prevention, input validation, cross-site request forgery (CSRF) protection, and cross-site scripting protection. A contemporary framework, quick builds, correct class inheritance, validation, and security are just a few of the important characteristics to look for. Additionally, CakePHP includes excellent documentation, a large number of help sites, and premium assistance through Cake Development Corporation.
It is true that theYii framework—which stands for Yes, it is!—is simple and evolutionary in nature. For constructing modern web applications, it’s a high-performance, component-based PHP framework called Zend Framework. Yii is a web application framework that may be used for any type of online application. As a result, it is referred to as a universal web programming framework.
Reasons to use Yii
- Yii features a straightforward installation procedure. Furthermore, the framework’s extensive security features make it suited for highly secure initiatives such as e-commerce projects, portals, content management systems, forums, and a variety of other things. Excellent speed and performance are provided by this system, which is also extremely expandable, and it allows developers to avoid the burden of writing repeating SQL queries by modeling the database data in terms of objects. Yii is being developed by a core developer team as well as by professionals who are contributing to its development. Because it is used by a large number of people, you may post difficulties on Yii forums and receive assistance
- Yii is incredibly extendable, and you have the ability to alter practically every aspect of the core’s programming code. It is important to note that if this is your first time using it, you can expect a high learning curve.
6. Zend Framework
The Zend framework is a comprehensive object-oriented framework, and the fact that it makes use of concepts such as interfaces and inheritance allows it to be easily customized. Built on the agile approach, it enables you to deliver high-quality apps to enterprise clients faster and with less effort. Zend is extremely flexible and adheres to PHP standard practices, which is a significant advantage for developers who wish to incorporate project-specific features into their applications.
Reasons to use Zend
- The Zend framework is a fantastic choice for large-scale, sophisticated applications at the business level. It is the chosen framework for major information technology departments and financial institutions. MVC components, a simple cloud API, data encryption, and session management are just a few of the features available. It has the ability to interface with external libraries, and you may choose to utilize only the components that you need. The Zend framework comes with extensive documentation and is supported by a huge community of developers. If you’re a mobile app developer, on the other hand, be prepared for a high learning curve.
Phalcon is a full-stack PHP framework that is based on the MVC web architecture design pattern. It was initially created in C and C++ and published in 2012 as a free open-source project. As a C-extension, you won’t have to bother about learning the C programming language, which saves you time.
Reasons to use Phalcon
- Phalcon is a web application development framework that is simple to set up and suited for constructing highly flexible web applications that adhere to enterprise development criteria. Increased execution speed, asset management, a universal autoloader, as well as superior security and caching, are some of the key benefits. Phalcon, in contrast to other frameworks, enhances speed as a result of its efficient memory use. If you want to build a website that is lightning quick, give Phalcon a shot. However, on the bad side, Phalcon developers are notoriously sluggish to fix flaws, which may not be compatible with today’s demand for high levels of security.
FuelPHPis a PHP framework that is both versatile and full-stack, and it was initially published in 2011. It not only supports the MVC design pattern, but it also offers its own version, known as the hierarchical model view controller design pattern (HMVC).
Unlike MVC, content does not need to be duplicated in order to appear on several pages while using HMVC. Consequently, it consumes less time and memory than previous versions.
Reasons to use FuelPHP
- It is possible to deliver end-to-end online solutions that are different in size and complexity with FuelPHP. The implementation of HMVC and RESTful services, as well as a URL routing system, vulnerability prevention, and a caching mechanism, are all important elements. It goes above and beyond traditional security procedures, making it an excellent choice if security is critical to your project’s success. Because FuelPHP is a relatively new technology, it provides less support and may have a steeper learning curve than other PHP frameworks.
Pixie is a PHP framework that, like FuelPHP, follows the HMVC design paradigm. It was first released in 2012. One of the goals of the project was to develop a high-performance framework for read-only webpages.
Reasons to use PHPixie
- Getting started with PHPixie is simple, and it is appropriate for social networking websites, customized web apps, and web application development services, among other things. The HMVC design, a standard ORM (object-relational mapping), input validation, authorization capabilities, authentication, and caching are some of the most important features. PHPixie is comprised of a number of different components. As a result, you may utilize it without having to install the framework itself. It should be noted that PHPixie has a limited number of modules. Apart from that, it does not provide support for components that are created independently of their dependencies. The fact that it’s a new framework means that it’s less well-known and has a smaller community of users than other frameworks.
Slim is another another famous PHP micro-framework that enables developers to easily construct simple yet powerful web apps and APIs without the need for programming knowledge.
Reasons to use Slim
- Slim is quite similar to PHPixie in that it is simple to learn. Slim is a PHP framework that allows developers to create RESTful APIs and web services. URL routing, session and cookie encryption, client-side HTTP caching, and other features are among the most important. In short, it’s the finest framework for a little web application that doesn’t require a full-stack PHP framework in order to function properly. Slim is also extremely user-friendly because to its constant maintenance and user-friendly documentation.
How hard are PHP frameworks to maintain?
It’s critical to keep track of mistakes as part of your PHP development process. Raygun Crash Reporting is compatible with the majority of PHP frameworks and will assist you in correctly identifying and diagnosing software faults. With clever PHP error monitoring software from Raygun, you may be notified of issues that are affecting your customers as soon as they occur, saving you valuable time.
Which PHP framework is right for you?
The use of PHP frameworks streamlines the development process, allowing for a reduction in overall burden. Each framework has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and they all differ in terms of their user communities, documentation, and the databases that they are able to support. As a result, the decision on which framework to employ is influenced by a variety of criteria, including security, simplicity of use, scalability, documentation, and other considerations. As a result, begin by gaining a grasp of the needs of the project or application you wish to create.
You can’t go wrong with this one.
Innoraft: Why Choose PHP for Web Application Development
PHP has become a popular programming language for scripting numerous websites that have assisted businesses in increasing their conversion rates. The framework enables web developers to optimize their workflow and streamline the activities that serve as the foundation of web application development. It is safe and stable, and it has seen significant development since its inception. Furthermore, the framework has reusable code and functions that make the process of developing and operating web applications easier.
Because the majority of the audience spends the most of their time online, businesses are strengthening their digital presence as well.
The website has surpassed all other methods of generating highly quality leads for a company in recent years.
12 Reasons to Choose PHP for Web Application Development
When selecting a framework for web application development, always make sure that it is within your budgetary constraints. You can maximize the resources allotted to your project using this open-source software, which is free to use. As a consequence, you will not be required to pay any licensing costs and will be able to use them everywhere. It also has a large and active community of thousands of followers who are there to provide advice when required.
The framework is up to date with the most recent technical breakthroughs and is a popular choice for web design and development projects. Because it is open-source, you also have complete control over the code and may modify it to your liking.
Dynamic and Flexible
When selecting a framework for web application development, always make sure that it is within your budgetary constraints. You can maximize the resources allotted to your project because it is open-source software. Consequently, you will not be required to pay any licensing costs and will be able to use them anywhere you choose without restriction. A large number of people who follow it are also active and can provide advice if you ask them. The framework is up to date with the most recent technical breakthroughs and is a popular choice for web design and development companies.
Connected with Several Databases
One of the most fundamental criteria of any web application framework is that it must be compatible with a variety of different databases. It is simple to interface with all databases and facilitates the transmission of information between them. Developers can select the most appropriate database based on the complexity of the project. It may handle a variety of databases, including MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and others. As a result, you may utilize PHP to modify a variety of websites. Furthermore, it is compatible with a variety of operating systems, including Unix, Windows, and Linux, among others.
It is one of the most fundamental criteria of any web application framework that it be capable of working with a wide range of database systems. All databases can be easily integrated with it, and information can be shared between them. In order to minimize project complexity, developers should select the most appropriate database. In addition to MongoDB and PostgreSQL, it may handle a variety of other databases. In this way, you may customize a variety of websites using PHP. Besides that, it is also compatible with a variety of operating systems such as Unix, Microsoft Windows, and Ubuntu.
Has Adequate Resources
One of the most significant advantages of PHP web application development services is the availability of a variety of tools that assist developers in include the features required for a project’s success. There is no need to rewrite the command function or the code in order to accomplish this. Instead, the framework enables developers to make changes to the script as and when they are required. The PHP framework offers developers with a set of tools that are simple to use. It is straightforward to understand and pretty easy to use for those who are just getting started.
It has a straightforward syntax and command functions, and it has a large number of experienced resources with PHP expertise.
Compared to other website frameworks, PHP-based websites are faster to load and run. It is because the PHP code takes advantage of the available RAM that it is able to operate more quickly. As a consequence, websites that operate on PHP have the quicker data processing capabilities that is required for the website’s appropriate operation to work properly. PHP scripts are significantly quicker than scripts written in other frameworks such as JSP, PERL, and so on. Additionally, the PHP framework has accelerators that might aid in the improvement of response time.
Another key advantage is the regular release of updates that correct any issues that may have been in the previous version. PHP programming does not adhere to rigorous standards and is easily integrated with a variety of web-based applications.
Has a Strong Community
PHP is one of the very few software frameworks that has such a strong community behind it. For quite some time, it has been backed by a large and dedicated community that has advocated for the use of PHP. The majority of developers prefer application development frameworks that are supported by a large and active community. When they get stuck during the development phase, they can easily seek assistance from the forums. When developers have questions, they are quick to request responses because they are looking for quick answers.
It turns into a never-ending resource for those who want to learn more about the framework in general.
Few Top PHP Frameworks for Website Development
SeveralPHP frameworks are available to aid in the building of web-based applications. They are scalable and can assist in the development of complicated websites as well. Several PHP frameworks are discussed in detail later on in this section of the tutorial.
In web application development, several PHP frameworks are available to assist you. It is possible to develop sophisticated websites using them since they are scalable and versatile. Several PHP frameworks are going to be discussed in this section.
Laravel was first made available in 2011. Among the greatest PHP frameworks available, it features overloading capabilities as well as powerful encryption packages built into the framework. It includes enhanced performance capabilities as well as security features that make it ideal for managing complicated web application projects. It is free and open source, and it has critical encryption features as well.
2011 saw the first public availability of Laravel. With its overloading capabilities and powerful encryption packages, it is considered to be one of the greatest PHP frameworks available today. In order to manage complicated web application projects, it has additional performance capabilities and security measures built in. It is free and open source, and it has critical encryption features as well as other benefits.
In fact, it is a continuation of one of the most popular PHP frameworks available today — the Zend PHP framework. The Laminas Project is an enterprise-ready framework that includes numerous components that developers need to be successful. It is an MVC-based and object-oriented framework that will allow developers to load only the pieces they require as separate libraries, rather than the entire framework. It is, however, difficult to learn and is not recommended for novices.
PHP is one of the most widely used frameworks for the development of websites and web-based applications. Over the years, there has been tremendous growth in the use of PHP for online application development. It is scalable and may be used on a wide range of systems. It’s also simple to use, and the learning curve isn’t very steep. Furthermore, the framework is well-known for having up-to-date libraries and for being resource-friendly. Your website serves as a channel of communication between you and your target audience.
When hiring a professional PHP developer, you must, however, exercise extreme caution. Always make certain that you are selecting the ideal. Alternatively, you may get in contact with our professionals, who would be delighted to assist you.
Should You Use a PHP Framework? Five Pros and Cons
10 minutes to complete the reading From routing HTTP requests to accessing the database and creating the user interface, most web apps have a great deal in common with one another in terms of programming languages. Many of them enable their visitors to sign in, and it’s difficult to conceive a web application that doesn’t also send emails to its users. In order to put this insight into action, a software framework must be developed. In addition to collecting the common qualities and the underlying architecture of an application and combining them into a reusable template as well as a set of libraries, a framework allows developers to concentrate on what makes their product stand out from the competition.
Laravel, Yii, and Symfony are prominent PHP frameworks that take this strategy to its logical conclusion by focusing their efforts on building the framework’s architecture and tooling and then making them accessible for other developers to utilize in their projects.
In order to address the issue, we will look at five advantages and disadvantages of utilizing a PHP framework in this lesson.
Five Pros of Using a PHP Framework
Begin by considering how utilizing a PHP framework might assist you in the creation of your web-based applications.
1. Rapid Development
Development speed may be critical in today’s businesses, which are built on experimentation, rapid prototyping, and putting your minimal viable product out into the public as quickly as possible. In fact, development speed can make or kill a company. One approach to meeting this need is to make use of a PHP framework. Using a well-designed PHP framework, you may choose the finest implementations of common issues from the open-source community and then build on top of them to give you with an application architecture (which is most often based on theModel-View-Controllerpattern) to guide your development.
Many PHP frameworks additionally provide a command-line tool, which you may use to create code and save even more of your valuable development time when using the framework.
2. A Framework Makes Your Application More Secure
While accelerating your development, a framework may also increase your security by doing the following: You are working quickly, but this is not achieved by scrounging about for short and dirty solutions, but rather by implementing proven best practices and utilizing ready-made components. Utilizing a current PHP framework, the solutions offered are regularly tested, peer reviewed, and validated by a large number of developers who are also using the framework. The fact that the frameworks are open source means that security vulnerabilities and other flaws that you might overlook in your proprietary code are easily identified and resolved.
Maintaining the framework as intended, keeping it up to date, and contributing to things like parameter validation—which, with the frameworks’ tools, isn’t all that difficult—are all things to bear in mind when using them.
3. Easier Maintenance
An effective PHP framework assists you in producing code that is loosely connected and repeats itself to the greatest extent feasible by providing a solid foundation for your application and guiding you towards software development best practices and patterns. In other words, it’s simple to read, test, maintain, and develop further in this environment. In today’s world, almost all major PHP frameworks are object-oriented and designed with automated testing and even test-driven development in mind.
However, as compared to the alternative of beginning from scratch, a framework and accompanying documentation that serves to remind you of the principles and encourage you to use them would undoubtedly be beneficial.
Because the framework libraries and helpers are maintained independently of your application, you are able to delegate a significant portion of the maintenance of your application to the framework’s developers.
4. Stronger Teamwork
As a developer, you are intimately familiar with your classes and functions and can utilize them with ease. However, when more team members are brought on board, the scenario changes. They will struggle to understand your application’s code unless they are familiar with your design decisions and have access to comprehensive documentation (let’s face it: in the age of rapid development, documentation is frequently an afterthought). Using a PHP framework will make it easier for new developers to get started with the project and will reduce the amount of time they spend learning new skills.
Even if the framework is new to them, the documentation, online tutorials and known design patterns will assist them in getting up to speed with the least amount of time and effort possible.
5. The Community Is There for You
In conclusion, one of the most major advantages of adopting PHP frameworks stems from the active communities of developers and users that have formed around them. A large number of open-source contributors work on all major frameworks, in addition to working on the framework itself. They create new widgets, libraries, and utility components that other developers may use in their projects. The contributions of others include tutorials, books, and videos that explain the ins and outs of how they utilize the frameworks in their real-world projects and how to use them effectively.
And, if you so want, you may give back to the community by participating in open-source projects in any way that feels natural and gratifying to you.
Five Cons of Using a PHP Framework
So now that we’ve seen how employing a PHP framework may be beneficial in your development efforts, let’s have a look at the drawbacks of doing so and why not utilizing one may be the better option in some cases.
1. Slower Execution
An application written in PHP that runs on a PHP framework always adds complexity and overhead in the form of classes and libraries that must be loaded before your code can even be invoked. The difference can be considerable in scripts and APIs that execute quickly and have a restricted range of functionality that must be available at all times. Typically, the efficiency implications of a framework have less to do with the framework itself and more to do with how you utilize it in your web application.
As a result, it comes down to understanding the requirements of your program while also refraining from being too committed to a certain method of utilizing it.
2. General Solutions for Specific Problems
The purpose of a PHP framework is to provide a generic solution for the recurrent needs that most web application developers would encounter while constructing a web site. However, where should the line be drawn between what should be included in the framework and what should be left to the applications—or third-party add-ons—to implement themselves? This, according to some developers, is where a lot of frameworks go horribly wrong. Rasmus Lerdorf, the developer of PHP, has stated that “no one has a general problem.” Everyone is trying to tackle a very particular problem that they have identified.
As a result, it is completed on each and every request.” As a result, if you decide to utilize a framework, it is critical that you select one that is appropriate for the demands of your application.
3. A Framework Takes Time to Learn and Master
With a PHP framework, you may provide a generic solution for the repeating requirements that most developers would encounter while creating a web application. However, where should the line be drawn between what should be included in the framework and what should be left to the applications—or third-party add-ons—to build on their own. According to some developers, this is the point at which many frameworks fail. Rasmus Lerdorf, the developer of PHP, has stated that “no one has a general problem.”.
Even while it is capable of solving the problem, a general purpose framework almost often does it in such a way that you end up with an abundance of other things that you don’t require.
However, even though most frameworks are based on lazy loading and won’t include the parts of the framework that your application doesn’t use, the added complexity will still be present, resulting in unnecessary tinkering with the framework to remove functionality that came with the framework but that you don’t require.
4. Limited Visibility and Control
A software framework elevates the abstraction level of your application development to a higher level of abstraction. This is done on purpose, and it is typically a positive development. However, it’s important to recognize that it, too, might result in complications. While many aspects of the framework’s template are intended to be altered, the framework’s core and libraries are more like a black box that you utilize but have little control over, as opposed to the template. You may make suggestions for improvements, but it is ultimately up to the framework’s creators to determine whether or not to include your suggestions.
5. A Framework Introduces an External Dependency
A framework is always an external dependence for your application, meaning that it contains code that is not managed by you and your team. However, if the software you are developing is a critical component of your company’s operations, this is something to consider as well. Prepare for the possibility that the framework’s development will be abandoned or will go a route you don’t want to pursue by asking yourself the following questions: A excellent method to reduce this risk is to utilize a dependable, well-known framework that has a vibrant community of developers and users behind it.
It is a very effective tool in a software developer’s toolbox since it may save you a significant amount of time and effort while also providing you with peace of mind when developing your PHP application. Just keep in mind that this should not be used as a substitute for understanding the fundamentals of PHP. The key to the aforementioned conclusion, on the other hand, is in picking the most appropriate instrument for the job. Every project is unique, and even a framework that works perfectly for one project might not be the best fit for another.
Vanilla is being used as a starting point.
However, it is worth considering when developing a website with little interaction—and remember that you can always enhance it by using Composer to select libraries of your preference.
By doing so, you’re future-proofing your application by ensuring that the underlying framework does not die a quiet death in the near future.
Understanding and applying what you learn from them is a wonderful method to learn and enhance your skills in software development, and it will help you keep up with the rapidly changing world of PHP development.
I am a part-time writer-entrepreneur and a part-time stay-at-home parent — as well as a man who is wildly interested in anything and everything he comes across. The majority of everything I do is in some way linked to generating things, whether it’s through coding, language, or by physically building things.
10 Best PHP Frameworks For Savvy Web Devs In 2022
A PHP framework is a platform that allows developers to create PHP web applications. Using PHP frameworks, developers may access libraries of regularly used functions, which reduces the amount of original code that needs to be written from scratch. A PHP framework is a basic building block for the construction of web applications in the PHP programming language. Frameworks are beneficial because they expedite and standardize the development process, hence decreasing uncertainty about how to begin constructing an application from the ground up.
Why use a PHP framework?
There are a number of advantages to utilizing PHP frameworks rather than writing from scratch, including:
- Faster development – Because of the built-in libraries and tools, the time necessary for development is significantly reduced. Improvements in performance – Because PHP frameworks have been rigorously tested for both quality and performance, they may assist enterprises in meeting their performance requirements
- A reduction in the amount of code that must be written when using functions that are already included in frameworks Numerous actions that developers must conduct while developing apps are repetitive, for example, data cleansing and CRUD operations. Libraries for common operations can help developers streamline their workflow. Frameworks make it possible to do such basic activities by utilizing built-in functionalities. Following best practices – PHP frameworks, for the most part, adhere to best practices, such as organizing code in a clean and manageable manner and using appropriate naming conventions. More secure – The use of PHP frameworks reduces the likelihood of vulnerabilities such as cross-site scripting and SQL injection becoming successful. In order to protect themselves against such typical risks, good PHP frameworks provide built-in protection. Allow for collaborative development – Using frameworks establishes defined guidelines for projects, allowing developers to take them up quickly and collaborate on them
- Improved maintainability – PHP frameworks aid in the creation of a codebase that is both smaller and more manageable. Additionally, the developers of the framework are responsible for the upkeep of the core framework itself.
Best PHP frameworks
On the basis of their popularity and ability to aid speedy application development, the following are some of the most effective PHP frameworks:
Laravel, which was first released in 2011, has quickly risen to become the most popular free and open-source PHP framework. It is capable of handling complicated applications safely and at a far faster rate than other frameworks.
Why use Laravel?
- Starting with Laravel Homestead, a pre-packaged Vagrant box that provides a virtual development environment without the need to install PHP, web server, or any other server software, is a simple process. Many aspects of Laravel are designed to assist developers in configuring and customizing complicated systems. These include capabilities such as authentication and authorisation
- Password reset
- Data migration
- And support for the MVC architecture, among other things. The Laravel Artisan Console command line tool accelerates development by automating repetitive activities and producing boilerplate code
- It is available for download here. Laravel is a PHP framework that is very expressive and has strong performance and security features. Moreover, it is very adaptable and keeps up with the most recent web development trends.
Disadvantages of Laravel
This structure necessitates the creation of a separate administration panel for the purpose of managing and editing material. If several stakeholders want access to the web application’s settings, a content management system (CMS) may be a preferable choice.
Symfony is a fantastic solution for web applications that must be scalable in order to be successful. It has a plethora of capabilities, and its modular component architecture is extremely adaptable, allowing developers to pick and choose the components they want to use in their project.
Why use Symfony?
- Symfony is a PHP framework that is simple to install and setup on most platforms, making it an excellent choice for creating enterprise-level applications. Reusable PHP components, database engine independence, stability, and compliance with the majority of online best practices and design patterns are only a few of its significant advantages. Symfony is a very versatile framework that can be integrated with third-party vendor packages.
Disadvantages of Symfony
- While Laravel emphasizes simplicity and is simple to use even for novice or intermediate developers, Symfony is designed for expert developers and is a little more difficult to get started with
- Yet, both are worthwhile investments. The Symfony security mechanism might be a little tough to work with at times. Because of its feature-rich design, it can also be a little slower than other frameworks.
CodeIgniter is a dynamic website development framework that is well-known for its speed and small footprint (about 2 MB in size, including documentation). It provides a plethora of modules that assist in the construction of sturdy and reusable components.
Why use CodeIgniter?
- CodeIgniter is a dynamic website development framework that is known for its speed and small footprint (about 2 MB in size, including documentation). Numerous modules are available to assist in the construction of sturdy and reusable components, among other things.
Disadvantages of CodeIgniter
Because CodeIgniter releases are sporadic, it may not be the greatest choice for a program that requires frequent security upgrades to remain secure.
CakePHP is an open-source PHP framework that follows the MVC design and aids in the development of web applications in a short amount of time. It is extremely easy to use, requires minimum setting, and aids in the development of aesthetically appealing and feature-rich online applications.
Why use CakePHP?
- Installation is simple – all that is required is a web server and a copy of the framework to get started. CakePHP comes with its own object-relational mapping (ORM), which is very simple to utilize. CSRF and XSS protection are included in the security features, which makes it an excellent choice for developing enterprise-level applications. Encryption, password hashing, SQL injection prevention, input validation, and input validation are all included. Other important characteristics include a contemporary framework, validation, excellent documentation, and premium support.
Disadvantages of CakePHP
CakePHP can be a bit restricted due to its rigorous adherence to standards, therefore it may not be the ideal choice for developers who prefer to break the rules or who need to ship quickly. CakePHP is a free and open source PHP framework.
Yii is a PHP framework for constructing modern online applications that is easy to use, high-performance, and based on component architecture.
Yii is a web development framework that can be used to create any type of online application, making it a universal web development framework.
Why use Yii?
- Yii is a PHP framework for constructing modern online applications that is easy to use, high-performance, and component-based. YII is a universal web development framework that may be used to build any type of online application.
Disadvantages of Yii
Yii has a high learning curve, which makes it considerably more difficult for newcomers to get started with the language. A higher level of care must be used during development because a single error in the code might result in difficulties throughout the entire program.
Zend is a full object-oriented framework that makes extensive use of concepts such as inheritance and interfaces to ensure that it is extremely expandable. It is free and open-source, as well as simple to use, and it is a good choice for developing feature-rich enterprise-level websites. Zend is a PHP framework that is extremely flexible and adheres to best-practices. In order to go forward, Zend is migrating to the Laminas Project. Because Zend is no longer being updated, it is highly suggested that you migrate to Laminas.
Why use Zend?
- Zend features a considerable deal of well-structured and reusable code, making it an excellent choice for developing massive enterprise-level applications. Some of its primary features include MVC components, a cloud API, encryption, and session management, among other things. It has the ability to interface with third-party libraries and templates. Developers can only utilize the components that they require. zend provides exceptional performance as well as security and flexibility. Zend features incredibly thorough documentation, as well as a big community of developers and users to draw on.
Disadvantages of Zend
When developing mobile applications using Zend, there might be a significant learning curve. Zend plugins can potentially be prohibitively expensive, making the framework more expensive and incompatible with applications on a limited budget.
With its MVC design, Phalcon is a high-performance full-stack PHP framework with a focus on speed and performance. It is offered as a web server extension developed in the C programming language (no knowledge of C is required to use it).
Why use Phalcon?
- Phalcon is a lightweight framework that is simple to set up and is an excellent choice for developing highly flexible web applications in accordance with corporate development best practices. High execution speed, asset management, robust security, and caching are some of the most important characteristics. Because of its efficient memory consumption, Phalcon is able to maximize speed. It also does not make use of file reads or statistics, which helps to improve efficiency even further. Phalcon is a loosely connected framework that allows developers to choose their own directory structure. Volt, the templating engine in Phalcon, is highly quick and provides with utility classes that make it simple to generate views.
Disadvantages of Phalcon
Phalcon releases updates and bug fixes to correct issues on a rather sporadic basis, which may not be sufficient for applications that require high levels of security.
FuelPHP is a full-stack PHP framework that is driven by the community and is extremely versatile. It supports the MVC design pattern and also includes its own version of the pattern called hierarchical model view controller (HMVC), which adds additional layer between the Controller and the View to make the application more scalable. With HMVC, there is no need to duplicate material in order to display it across several pages, which saves both time and memory.
Why use FuelPHP?
- The implementation of HMVC, RESTful services, a URL routing system, strong security, and a caching mechanism are some of the most important characteristics of FuelPHP. The output encoding, cross-site request forgery prevention, and URI and XSS screening are only a few of the security features available. When compared to other frameworks, FuelPHP features a well-organized code base, more flexibility, and greater extensibility. To perform operations, debug code, and produce components, FuelPHP includes its own command-line utility (oil), which may be found in the FuelPHP distribution.
Disadvantages of FuelPHP
Because FuelPHP is a new framework, it offers less support and may have a steeper learning curve than other frameworks, which is understandable.
Slim is a popular micro PHP framework that allows developers to construct basic yet powerful web apps in a very short period of time. Receive an HTTP request, invoke a callback, and return an HTTP response are the primary goals of this module.
Why use Slim?
- Slim is a simple language to learn and comprehend. Its codebase is lean since it does not rely on any third-party libraries, which allows it to be extremely quick. The URL routing capability, as well as session and cookie encryption, and client-side HTTP caching are just a few of the numerous features available. Slim is a fantastic alternative for developing tiny web applications that do not necessitate the use of a full-stack PHP framework such as Zend. Slim interfaces with both first-party and third-party components to meet more complex requirements.
Disadvantages of Slim
The slim web application framework is not the ideal solution for developing complicated, large-scale web applications. Its dependency injection capabilities are very limited, making it unsuitable for enterprise-level applications, as previously stated.
PHPixie is a full-stack framework for constructing high-performance web applications that has been tuned for speed. PHPixie, like FuelPHP, employs the HMVC design pattern and is composed of a number of independently functioning components.
Why use PHPixie?
- PHPixie is a scripting language that is simple to learn and use, and it is well suited for developing customized online applications, web application services, and social networking websites. The HMVC architecture, Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), input validation, authorisation, authentication, and caching are some of the most important aspects. PHPixie is developed utilizing standalone components that may be used as-is within the framework, rather than as a part of it. PHPixie applications have a minimum number of dependencies
- PHPixie, among other things, provides good performance and reduced coupling. PHPixie’s disadvantages are as follows:
Because PHPixie is a newer technology, it is less well-known and has a smaller user base than other programming languages.
What is the Best PHP Framework for Beginners?
In general, simpler and leaner frameworks that are easier to grasp are best suited for novices to learn from. Once these are understood, developers can go on to more feature-rich frameworks if the situation calls for it. CodeIgniter is the best choice for a PHP framework that is easy to use and quick to learn.
It is the most popular choice for beginners. It is based on the MVC design, is simple to install, comes with multiple tutorials, and is simple to comprehend for novices who want to get started with creating web applications in the PHP programming language.
Track, Analyze and Manage Errors With Rollbar
It might be difficult to keep track of mistakes and exceptions in your code. It may make the process of deploying production code a frightening affair. Being able to identify, evaluate, and control mistakes in real time can provide you greater confidence as you progress with your project. Rollbar automates error monitoring and triaging, making it easier than ever before to resolve PHP issues. Take a look at Rollbar right now!