How to Create a Customer Referral Program
- Start with customer referral templates.
- Set your goals.
- Research how referrals are coming to your business.
- Determine what a ‘good fit’ is for your company.
- List possible customer referral sources.
- Identify channels to host your referral program.
- Make a plan to reach out.
How do you start a referral business?
- There are a few ways to start any local referral business. You can go about it one of two ways. OPTION #1: Offer contractors to join your referral service for a monthly fee, and then post their information on a well advertised website for people in need of their services to review their company information.
How do I start a referral based business?
8 Simple rules to build a referral based business
- Deliver A WOW Experience.
- Build Client Loyalty.
- Plant the seed early in the relationship.
- Make it easy for them to refer.
- Practice the Law of Reciprocation.
- Ask for non-threatening referrals.
- Really thank them for their referral.
How can I grow my business with referrals?
3 Simple Steps to Grow Your Business Through Referrals
- Start asking for introductions. The first step to growing your business through referrals is to stop asking for referrals.
- Set aside 15 minutes each day.
- Host an exclusive event.
What is an online referral business?
Simply put, referral marketing is a method used to attract new customers to a product or service by using referrals, usually via word-of-mouth.
How does a referral business work?
Referral marketing is the marketing approach where you ask your customers to promote your business to their family and friends. Often, it involves a fillable online form where your customers can key in the details of the people that they know (family and friends) and refer them to your business.
How do I create a referral program?
How to create a referral program
- Provide exceptional products.
- Put your customers first.
- Have a clear marketing goal.
- Use catchy headlines.
- Make it easy for people to refer.
- Create your referral messaging.
- Implement analytics and tracking.
- Figure out how you’ll tell customers about the program.
How do you build a strong referral network?
Here are five simple ways to create a strong referral network:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for referrals. You’ll never know if you don’t ask.
- Create a rewards program.
- Build relationships.
- Customer service is key.
- Capitalize on new residents.
How do you generate referrals from existing clients?
How do you ask for referrals?
- Create a referral program.
- Ask at the right time.
- Thank your referral sources.
- Offer alternate ways to recommend you.
- Educate current customers about all products and services.
- Add a form for referral submissions.
- Be remarkable.
- Inspire confidence.
How do I make a referral email?
How to Write a Referral Email:
- Create a strong subject line.
- Format the email as a business letter.
- Emphasize your mutual acquaintance.
- Get straight to the point.
- Be concise.
- Be sure to attach your resume.
- Thank the reader.
What are the three types of referral?
Types of Referrals: Direct, Social, Reviews, and More
- Direct referrals (word of mouth) Direct referrals are some of the best advertising your business can receive.
- Email referrals. Source.
- Incentive-based referrals.
- Referrals from reviews.
- Social media referrals.
What are the six steps in the referral process?
Page 3: Six Stages in the Pre-Referral Process
- Stage 1: Initial concern regarding a student’s progress.
- Stage 2: Information gathering.
- Stage 3: Information sharing and team discussion.
- Stage 4: Discussion of possible strategies.
- Stage 5: Implementation and monitoring of strategies.
- Stage 6: Evaluation and decision making.
How to Setup a Referral Program for Your Business?
If you want to expand your business, keep the consumers you already have, and meet your income targets, you should consider outsourcing. In order to do this, you must devise a strategy and execute it with consistency, efficacy, and patience. To put it simply, a recommendation is the organic advertising of your business carried out by those who are enthusiastic about your brand. Those individuals support your company and spread the word about your services or goods to new clients because they are pleased and pleased with themselves.
It is a systematic method in which your advocates (those who recommend your firm to others) will refer their friends and family and will be compensated for their efforts in spreading the word about your brand.
The aspect of trust is more effective than the majority of marketing strategies.
An investigation by Nielsen found that 92 percent of those polled place greater faith in recommendations from family and friends than they do in any other kind of advertising.
Those that come to you as a result of a reference are folks who want what you’re selling.
It is also quite beneficial because obtaining a reference does not incur any additional expenses for you.
At a relatively minimal cost, you may acquire devoted consumers.
Step 1: Analyze the situation.
The first step is to understand your company’s image and current market position, as well as the goals you intend to attain. Consider the following questions: 1. How is my company now performing? 2. How do my consumers rate the quality of my product and the level of customer service I provide? 3. Do my consumers already recommend me to their friends and family members? You should also find out how many references your company has received, as well as from which sources they have come. Involve marketing, sales, and customer service, and inquire as to how they have usually dealt with recommendations in the past.
- The second component of the company condition analysis is to determine whether or not your product or service is worthy of being recommended.
- You may accomplish this by: Test your Net Promoter Score (NPS): You may construct a fast survey and send it to all your customers, asking them if they would suggest your firm to their friends and family.
- Keep an eye out for organic referrals that are taking place on social media and other online channels.
- Consult with your existing clients to see if any of them have inquired about your nonexistent program.
The third step is to ensure that your consumers will be pleased with their purchases from your company or their work with your firm so that they will recommend you to others. You may be certain of this by doing the following:
Offering an Amazing Product or Service
If you don’t have a product or service that you know your clients will enjoy, concentrate on developing one. Trying to encourage people to recommend you because it will profit you rather than the new clients that you will introduce to your product will not get you very far in the referral game.
Providing the Best Customer Support
While you’re refining your product or service, make certain that your customer service is exceptional. Customers make purchases with the expectation of receiving a specified amount of value in return. In the end, people judge how well a company does based on how well the product delivered meets their expectations. It is feasible to provide a better client experience by making them feel as though you exceeded their expectations. Customers who are pleased with the firm’s products and services are more inclined to recommend the company to others.
Your reputation will almost certainly suffer if your systems and workflows aren’t up to date and new leads have an unpleasant experience as a result of this.
2. Set up a goal.
It must have a specific objective in order to be effective.
Do a little math
What is the monetary value of an existing customer? How many referrals do you need to break even when compared to the amount of effort spent monitoring and administering existing programs? On average, a 10 percent conversion rate for recommendations is a reasonable starting point, but depending on your business, referrals can convert as high as 70 percent if done correctly. Learn more about “How to Grow Your Business through Referrals” by reading this article.
3. List your referral sources.
Referral sources, also known as advocates, are those individuals who help to raise the profile of your company’s brand through word-of-mouth. They spread information about your organization to their networks through chats, social media, email, text messages, and other means. Beginning with your personal friends and family, your company’s workers, business partners, industry leaders, former and present customers, and prospects should all be included on your list of people to contact. This will provide you with a strong foundation to build upon.
4. Create a catchy headline.
Getting a customer’s attention is one of the quickest and most effective methods to get them to recommend you. That is why the importance of headlines cannot be overstated. If you haven’t already realized it, the title is what will capture the attention of your participants. In a single sentence, a strong headline should convey the essence of the program being promoted. Additionally, you should include information on what the program is all about, the benefits of participating, and how they can begin sending you referrals and earning incentives as a result.
5. Create a plan.
The approach strategy describes how you will reach out to people, tell them about your program, and promote it. 1. Who will make the request for referrals? 2. When are you planning to seek for referrals? 3. What methods are you using to train your advocates to bring in referrals? 4. What venues are you using to promote your business? If your firm is large, you may need to collaborate with sales, marketing, and customer service to ensure that you have a comprehensive strategy.
Additionally, attempt to ensure that your audience understands how your company is different and how your goods and services make a difference to your ideal customers.
6. Make it easy for your advocates to refer you.
A great referral program must be simple to use in order to be effective. Advocates will not be able to discover it if it is buried deep inside your website’s navigation. You must design a procedure that is simple for consumers to participate in, and a referral App would be an excellent answer. Referral applications may perform a variety of tasks: in addition to accepting recommendations, businesses can send messages, emails, and display new offers and promotions, among other things. Most importantly, a referral app provides clients with the ability to complete the appropriate process at their convenience.
Apart from that, a referral app is the most effective means of reaching out to and staying in touch with your clients, and there are two primary reasons for this: In the United States, 77 percent of individuals have access to a smartphone.
A client referral app may be beneficial to your company since it will enhance the amount of time that customers spend engaging with your brand, increasing the likelihood that they will recommend others to you.
Don’t forget to market your program by placing it prominently on your website and linking to it from a referral landing page.
In order to be effective, a referral program must be simple to use. Advocates will not be able to discover it if it is buried deep inside your website. Create a procedure that is simple for clients to participate in, and a referral App would be a wonderful answer in this situation. Apps that collect referrals can do a variety of tasks, like sending messages and emails, displaying fresh offers and promotions, among other things. The most significant advantage of a referral app is that it puts the correct method at the fingertips of clients.
Furthermore, a referral app is the most effective approach to reach out to and maintain contact with your clients, and there are two primary reasons for this: Adults in the United States own a smartphone with a rate of 77 percent.
A client referral app may be beneficial to your company since it will enhance the amount of time that customers spend engaging with your brand, increasing the likelihood that they will recommend others to your company in the future.
Consider advertising your program by placing it prominently on your website and linking to it from a referral landing page. This will allow consumers who are unfamiliar with downloading applications to participate via their computers or iPads.
8. Set up your incentives.
It is possible to choose between two options: referral tiers and referral stages.
The amount of money you receive depends on how many people you recommend. For example, a participant may receive $10 for the first three recommendations and then $20 for each subsequent referral.
This is particularly effective when used in conjunction with a multi-step sales procedure. If a participant receives $25 when a recommendation sets an appointment, another $25 when that referral receives a proposal, and a final $200 when the referral pays their invoice, this is an example of a referral program. Additionally, be innovative by giving multiple reward choices such as bank transfer, PayPal, virtual debit card and gift card in addition to the incentives you have established. The greater the number of alternatives you provide, the greater the likelihood that you will please your consumers and, as a result, receive more referrals!
9. Use a referral platform to track your referrals.
Regardless of the size of your organization (small, medium, or huge), you must have tracking in place. Having a checklist will guarantee that you don’t forget anything and that you are able to interact effectively with advocates and new prospects generated through referrals. You should keep track of:
- Who was referred and by whom they were recommended
- When were they referred to you? Whether or not they were converted, or whether or not they were sold What plans do you have for nurturing and following up with them? What method and amount of payment will you use
You must make certain that you have placed analytics and tracking tools in place. This is where a software solution comes in useful, as these solutions include analytics, referral link distribution, and referral tracking functionality built-into the platform itself.
10. Integrate your CRM system.
In case you haven’t already, this would be an excellent time to consider purchasing a CRM (customer relationship management) system. Keeping track of client connections is critical to achieving success; the ability to personalize each account or relationship makes each customer feel like they are a distinct member of your customer base is also important. The CRM will assist you in effectively managing your present customers so that they may be converted into Advocates, as well as your new clients that come via the referrals of your Advocates.
11. Communicate and appreciate your advocates.
Provide regular updates to your Advocates via emails, text messages, and push notifications: When you keep your Advocates updated about the recommendations they provided you, they feel engaged and enthusiastic to continue doing so. In addition, you may utilize those communication tools to provide customer support, such as asking how happy they are with their product/service, if they want any assistance, and so forth.
To conclude our guide.
In order to understand where your business is right now and what you want to achieve with referrals, you must first identify your referral sources and then create a catchy headline using the steps listed above. After that, you can begin promoting the program and approaching your target audience.
As soon as the program is up and running, make sure to track referrals, include them in your CRM loop, and reward them as quickly and conveniently as possible. Finally, express your gratitude and maintain constant communication with them!
How to Set Up a Referral Program for Your Ecommerce Store in 6 Steps
Considering that you are looking at how to set up a referral program, it is probable that you are familiar with the term and understand the benefits of having a referral program in your organization. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, here’s why referral marketing is good.) Forget about all of that and get to the fun part: setting up a referral program for your ecommerce business so that you can start receiving referrals from your customers.
Setting up your referral program in 6 steps
Setting up a referral program may appear to be a daunting task, but don’t be concerned. I’ll walk you through the most critical steps to do in order to start receiving recommendations right away.
- Recognize your consumers’ needs
- Choose your rewards
- Make your referral emails and landing pages more personalized. Integrate your store’s referral program with your referral program. Make a start on your referral campaign. Keep track, assess, and make improvements.
Once your referral program is up and running, you may make adjustments and improvements as needed. My close friend owns and operates a thriving computer accessories business called Mecha Store, which has a very simple setup. Although his referral rate is far greater than the industry average of 3.40 percent, he continues to grow. If you are already familiar with referral programs and want to learn more, I have included some advanced tutorials below that you may go to for more information. Enjoy!
1. Understand your customers
The ability to have a thorough knowledge of your consumers is the most critical component of a successful referral program. This may seem trite, but it has a significant influence on every aspect of your referral campaign. You must understand why they would want to participate in your referral program, what the most effective method is to get them to participate, and what would motivate them to recommend their friends. Here are some questions I’d like to think about:
- What aspects of your brand and products do your customers find appealing
- What is the frequency with which your consumers acquire your products? Whether on a regular basis or once every few years
- What drives them to do what they do? Providing assistance to others, receiving discounts, free gifts, or cash compensation
- What websites do they frequent on the internet? When it comes to social media, where do they interact with your company?
The answers to these concerns will become clearer as you put together your referral program, but it is a good idea to consider them now.
2. Set your rewards
After that, let’s have a look at the actual mechanics of your referral program. Your rewards are the first and most important component of the puzzle. Given that this is a lengthy portion, let us proceed gently through it together. There are two types of benefits to consider:
- Customers (or advocates) will receive a prize for their loyalty. The offer for friends who have been introduced by them
Recognize and reward your supporters. Customers that recommend your ecommerce business to their friends are referred as “advocates.” The purpose of the referral incentive is to encourage them to suggest others while also thanking them for increasing your sales. Incentives for advocates to refer others are often in the form of discount coupons. This is most effective if your items are purchased on a regular basis. In exchange for referring friends to Baronfig, a company that supplies tools for thinkers, supporters receive a $10 discount for every person they suggest.
- ReferralCandy will automatically generate and place single-use coupons in your Shopify store on your behalf, saving you time and money.
- This is the most effective strategy if your items are not purchased on a regular basis, such as beds.
- ReferralCandy allows you to specify a preset cash sum or a percentage of the recommended friend’s purchase (for example, 10 percent of the referred friend’s purchase) for each referral.
- A personalized referral reward is the last sort of referral incentive.
- Examples include ThreadBeast, a men’s streetwear firm that rewards its supporters with a free bundle of streetwear in exchange for introducing their friends.
- In light of the nature of this award, we will not be able to complete it for you.
- Offers for people who recommend others As a further step, you may consider making a special offer to those who recommend others to your ecommerce business.
In our research, we discovered that individuals enjoy giving gifts to their friends.
Furthermore, the discount voucher will motivate them to recommend your items to their friends.
Choosing the incentives might be a difficult task.
What criteria do you use to decide the amount?
However, when it comes to putting up your referral program for the first time, there is no need to overthink things.
Many firms, including Branch Basics, have found success with a straightforward Give $10, Get $10 referral scheme. In addition, you may easily adjust your incentives at a later time. If you wish to experiment with other types of incentives, you might find the following instructions useful:
- Choosing Your Referral Program Incentives (20+ Examples)
- Best Practices for Setting Up Referral Rewards
- Choosing Your Referral Program Incentives (20+ Examples). Setting up a referral program includes the following steps: establishing a referral review period
3. Customize your referral emails and pages
Let’s take a look at the customer-facing aspect of your referral program, shall we? Generally speaking, there are two emails and two websites on which you should concentrate your efforts at first:
- Post-purchase email:An automated email sent to your consumers after they have completed a transaction in which you urge them to refer their friends to your business. Join page: The page on which your consumers may sign up for your referral program (for instance)
- Your advocates who have not recommended any friends will receive a reminder email, which will be sent to them automatically. Share page: The page where your advocates may acquire their referral link to share with their friends and family (for example)
After purchasing a notebook from Open Atlas, a minimalistic notebook company, an automatic post-purchase email will be sent to the purchaser. The email will read as follows: When the client clicks on the “Get Invite Link” link in the email, they will be sent to their Share page, where they will be able to obtain their referral link. ReferralCandy automates the process of sending these emails and creating these landing pages, so you don’t have to worry about doing it manually. There is a preset theme for your referral emails and websites to make it easier for you to get started immediately.
ReferralCandy allows you to further personalize your referral emails and landing pages by adding a new theme to your account.
You should also adjust other aspects of your referral program if you want to be more complex with your referral program.
- ReferralCandy allows you to customize the wording and appearance of emails and landing pages. 20 Beautiful Referral Email Designs to Inspire Your Own
- The following are 34 examples of friend landing pages used in referral programs:
Once again, you are not required to design every aspect of your referral program immediately (especially if you are feeling overwhelmed). Designed to work “out of the box,” the emails and pages in ReferralCandy are easy to use.
4. Integrate your referral program to your store
As long as you’re utilizing Shopify, you’re good to go! Continue on to the next stage. If this is the case, there are two options:
- Incorporate a referral tracking code into your business so that ReferralCandy can keep track of successful referrals. In order for ReferralCandy to detect referrals or frauds and welcome clients to your referral program on your behalf, you need forward all invoice emails to your unique ReferralCandy email address.
5. Launch your referral program
Your referral program is fully operational and ready to accept new participants! Instead of waiting for your clients to find it on their own, you should inform them about it in advance. Starting with clients who have previously purchased and experienced your stuff is the most effective strategy. If they are pleased with your items, they will be willing to tell their friends about them as well. Having the knowledge that they will be compensated for recommending their friends will provide them with a motivation to actually do so.
As soon as your customers sign up for your referral program, you will be able to check how many friends they have recommended in your ReferralCandy account (under “Existing Customers.” This tutorial, Promoting Your Referral Program Without Sounding Desperate, may be of use to you whenever you are ready to advertise your referral program to a larger number of individuals.
6. Track, evaluate, improve
Congratulations on your successful establishment and launch of your referral program! However, even if a referral program takes less upkeep and effort than other marketing channels, you should make certain that it is set up in such a way that it maximizes referral sales. We certainly observe a spectrum: some merchants prefer to set and forget their referral program, while others regularly alter their referral program, and many more fall between between. In general, we advise you to keep track of your referral outcomes and make adjustments to your program as needed.
You may check your referral sales, referral rate, referred traffic, and top referrers all at a glance on one page.
Your referral report may be downloaded as a PDF or CSV file (under the “Referral Report” heading) if you wish to discuss or analyze your findings further.
We are standing by to help
If you’ve been following along and putting your referral program into action, you’re now all set. Congratulations! Woohoo! If you haven’t done so yet, don’t be concerned. Despite the fact that we have made the process of setting up a referral program as simple as possible with ReferralCandy, we understand that it might be intimidating.A good next step could be to look at some existing referral programs to obtain ideas for your own:
- 10+ of the most successful ecommerce referral programs to study
- 8 Case Studies of Successful Enterprise Ecommerce Referral Programs
- Case Studies of Successful Enterprise Ecommerce Referral Programs Using ReferralCandy
After all is said and done, we want to assist you at every step of the process. We have more over 1,000 5-star ratings on the Shopify App Store, indicating that our customers are pleased with both the product and the company’s customer service. Message me if you have any queries or need assistance. P.S. If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to our newsletter, in which we provide our most recent articles as well as useful links.
How to Build an Effective Referral Program
You put in a lot of time and effort to gain new business, and after you’ve convinced a prospect to become a client, you put in even more effort to provide a pleasant customer experience. While it is possible to locate new consumers, it is far more time and cost effective to turn to the customers you currently have. This will not only result in more repeat business, but will also result in a continuous stream of recommendations as customers pass your name along to their friends. As a result, you may develop a more precise strategy for obtaining these referrals from your existing clients.
The purpose of a referral program, why you need one, and how to make the most of the program you design will all be covered in this article.
What is a Referral Program?
A referral program is a methodical way to generating recommendations that is well-organized.
A wide phrase that can relate to any variety of strategies that you employ to solicit and collect recommendations, whether from existing customers or from business partners.
Know Your Customer
The first step in developing a successful referral program is to have a thorough understanding of your existing customers. What aspects of your company do they find appealing? What keeps people coming back again and again? Understanding their desires, requirements and habits will allow you to design a referral program that will attract them and encourage them to refer their friends to your service or product. The good news for you is that today’s technologically advanced world gives marketers and company owners with an extensive array of tools to track and elicit feedback from clients through a variety of internet platforms.
Data can assist you in determining what is truly vital to your present consumers as well as who your most valuable customers are.
Following your data analysis, don’t be hesitant to go out to these greatest customers and ask for their advice on how you plan to build your referral program.
After all, if they are your most valuable clients, it is probable that they are the ones who are taking advantage of the program by spreading the word about you to their friends!
Create a Customer Reward Program
Offering an incentive to consumers who suggest your business is a tactic that is frequently employed when developing a client referral program. There are a variety of approaches that may be taken when developing a customer referral program, but all successful programs share certain characteristics.
- Provide a prize that your users will appreciate. This might be in the form of a discount on their next purchase, a gift card, or access to a particular commodity or service that is not available to other customers. The offer need not be pricey, but it must be something that your clients will find beneficial
- Otherwise, it will be ignored. Increase the payout by double. When you present an incentive to both the referrer and the referee, customer referral programs are even more powerful than before. Dropbox, for example, is well-known for doing this by providing more free storage to anybody who recommended them as well as to their friends who joined up as a consequence of the recommendation, and this method resulted in the firm experiencing exponential growth. Make your offering as transparent as possible. The feeling that they are being coerced into saying something great about you or spreading your name along is not one that customers like. Make certain that the terms and conditions of participation are clear and straightforward, and that they are widely displayed on your website. Not only will this most likely result in clients that you had not anticipated engaging in the program, but it will also provide customers with a sense of security
- Make things as simple as possible. If your rewards program is tough to find out about or difficult to enroll in, it serves no purpose for you or your consumers. Make a big deal about your referral program on your website, in emails, and on social media, and make sure you’re clear about the rules and conditions of participation. Make it straightforward to comprehend the requirements for participation in the program, and make the sign-up procedure as simple as feasible
When you design an efficient client referral program, you may more easily generate referral champions: delighted customers who will recommend your company to their friends and family again and time again!
Encourage Online Reviews
When you think about online evaluations, you might believe that they only apply to firms in specific industries, notably those that are B2C. However, this is not the case. The reality is, however, that in today’s internet environment, every firm should be concerned about obtaining online customer evaluations. Before making a purchase, more than 90 percent of shoppers consult internet reviews for recommendations on what to buy. If you are not being evaluated online, potential customers may not even be aware that you exist, or they may dismiss you as illegitimate due to a lack of a visible presence on the internet.
Include links to your online review sites in follow-up emails to consumers, in which you ask them for input on their purchasing experience.
It’s absolutely fine to have a few negative reviews; otherwise, prospects would begin to suspect that your “reviews” are all from paid shills. However, you must respond to concerns in a quick, thoughtful, and proper manner in order to avoid losing business.
Engage Other Business Owners
The only thing better than putting together a referral program on your own is putting together a referral program with another small company proprietor. As a fellow entrepreneur, they confront the same obstacles and strive to achieve the same objectives as they do. In your attempts to establish a referral basis, why not collaborate with others to divide and conquer? It is possible to tap into the existing networks of company owners who have a similar client profile to yours, and vice versa, allowing you to more than quadruple your pool of potential customers overnight.
If the business owner is someone you don’t know and trust, you should avoid entering into strategic partnerships.
Reevaluate Your Approach
Although it takes some effort to get a referral program up and operating, your work is far from done after it has been completed. You want to keep track of the results of your program and make adjustments as needed. Keep track of the sources from which your prospects are originating. Were they referred to you by internet reviews on sites such as Facebook or Yelp? What is the source of their referral? Is it through your customer referral program? Is it possible that an existing customer forwarded your email newsletter?
- Understanding how individuals are discovering you helps you to tailor your program to meet their specific requirements.
- Send an email blast to your existing customers informing them of the change, and add a link in your email signature encouraging them to suggest a friend to your company.
- You should also keep track of the expenditures associated with acquiring new customers.
- If your costs are increasing or remaining stagnant, this is still another indication that you should reconsider your strategy.
- Building a successful referral campaign is not something that can be accomplished quickly.
- In addition to this, there is the ongoing maintenance of the program, which includes checking in with yourself and making adjustments as needed.
- Download a free eBook 7 Steps to Increasing the Size of Your Consulting Practice Without Increasing Your Overhead The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has assisted me in increasing the size of my firm by more than 40% in the previous 12 months.
Fargo, North Dakota’s Michael Quinn Agency is represented by Michael Quinn.
7 Steps to Launch: How to Run Your First Referral Program
Word of mouth marketing is one of the most powerful types of advertising, but it is also one of the most hardest to manage. The fact is that you cannot compel someone to speak positively about your firm, much alone give you a positive review. However, the voices of your consumers are powerful – much more powerful than the voice of your brand. As a matter of fact, 92 percent of customers say they trust referrals from their peers, and 74 percent think word of mouth is a significant factor in their purchase decisions.
- The value of word of mouth cannot be overstated.” The most successful brands are founded on the strength of word of mouth.
- After that, we rely on our customers to do our marketing for us.
- But how do you go about putting it into action?
- Utilize the following seven steps to launch your own referral program and begin to capitalize on the power of word-of-mouth marketing.
1. Set goals
Before you even consider putting any form of strategy into action, you should take some time to reflect on your why. What do you anticipate to gain by participating in a referral program? Beyond the apparent reason of increasing consumer numbers, what do you want to achieve? Perhaps you’re hoping to enhance client loyalty, increase revenue, convert more consumers into lifelong customers, or recruit more brand ambassadors for your organization. To be able to evaluate the effectiveness of your program, you must first determine the objectives that you want to achieve.
2. Define the message
You need to make your referral program simple to comprehend and simple to implement. Prospective clients will not give your company a second thought if this is not the case. Make sure you clearly explain how the program works, what your customers are expected to do, and how they are expected to complete it. Clear and conspicuous communication should be used to encourage action. Airbnb does an excellent job in this area. The company’s landing page features a strong call to action that clearly states what should be done and why it should be done.
3. Choose an incentive
Simply asking your consumers to suggest a friend will not be enough to persuade them to take the initiative. It is necessary to provide some sort of incentive. This might be in the form of a monetary incentive, such as a discount on your products or services, but it does not necessarily have to be that way. Dropbox, for example, has one of the most effective referral systems in the industry, yet it doesn’t cost the firm anything, if anything, to participate. Customers can receive up to 16GB of free storage space in exchange for bringing a friend to the service.
Regardless of what you pick, be certain that the reward is appropriate for both your business and your target audience. Consider putting yourself in their place and considering what you might provide that would be of the most use to them.
4. Make a landing page
Customer information regarding your referral program should be accessible from a single point, such as a dedicated landing page on your website, so that customers can find it quickly and easily. When creating the page, make sure it’s easy to locate and navigate through. Include the page in your main navigation so that it is easily accessible from your home page and other landing pages. Then, following SEO best practices, optimize the page to guarantee that people will be able to search for – and discover – you in future.
Include a form immediately on the landing page, if at all feasible, to make submitting the recommendation even more convenient.
5. Focus on analytics
Ensure that you have your analytics set up using Google Analytics or another software before launching your referral program. This will make it easier to track the effectiveness of your efforts. The method through which individuals arrive at your landing page, including where they came from and what they clicked on, will be essential information for you to collect and analyze. Once you’ve determined which channels are the most effective, you may concentrate your efforts there. Furthermore, if any channels are underperforming, you can redirect your efforts to another channel.
6. Spread the word
According to Samuel Edwards, a digital marketing consultant, one of the most common reasons referral systems fail is a lack of emphasis on the launch. According to him, “the actual terms and conditions of the program are simple to create, but the marketing of the program is where businesses fall short—and a bad launch nearly always leads to a program that underperforms.” You must ensure that people are aware of your referral program, which means you must go to great lengths to achieve this objective.
Make use of as many channels as possible to ensure that you reach the greatest number of individuals feasible.
7. Train employees
Your staff are your most effective brand ambassadors. Informing and training them on your referral program may make them as effective as any other marketing channel in terms of generating new business. In order for them to be able to discuss and explain the program to others, make certain that they are well informed on the program’s specifics and operation. Persuade them to spread information about the program with their friends and family and to post about it on their personal social media platforms.
Their messages will help to establish the legitimacy of your business and expand its reach. Are you ready to start your referral program? What do you have planned for the rest of the day? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below:
How to integrate a referral program into your online business
“People have the ability to influence other people, and there is no stronger effect than a referral from a trusted friend or family member. Getting a trustworthy reference has a greater impact on your target audience than even the most effective broadcast campaign. The Holy Grail of marketing is a reference from a satisfied customer.” – Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Have you ever fantasized of discovering a top-secret marketing approach that top companies like Google, Tesla, and Uber employ to obtain highly targeted leads?
- You no longer have to daydream about it since we’ve discovered it, and we’ll teach you how to use this effective advertising strategy into your business for incredible conversions.
- Every marketer swears on the power of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Obtaining word-of-mouth advertising from your clients is possible.
- Consider this: Would you purchase a product or service simply because you saw an advertisement on a social networking site, or because your closest buddy told you they had purchased it and that it was an excellent product?
- Is it possible that your friend did not tell you about the great product?
- Please have a look at the following referral candy infographics, which demonstrate the facts on the number of possible referrals and leads that your company would miss out on if you did not have a referral program in place, even if your customers are delighted with your product.
Choose a relevant incentive for your offer
In the world of referral programs, there is no such thing as getting without first giving. You’ll have to come up with a compelling offer that includes the correct incentives. Put yourself in the position of a consumer. What exactly are they looking for? What is the most effective inducement to persuade them to demonstrate your product to a trusted colleague or friend? For example, some companies pay flat fees to customers who recommend friends, while others hold contests in which customers compete to generate the greatest number of new leads.
It rewards friends and advocates with a $10 shop credit as an added incentive.
That is a textbook example of a legitimate and lucrative incentive program. The consumer receives $10, the lead receives $10, and the two of them go shopping together.
Make the referral program seamless
Never make things difficult for your customers as you strive to develop a successful business. When implementing a referral program, one of your primary objectives should be to make the process of signing up, recommending friends, and collecting incentives as simple as possible for your customers. There are two approaches that may be used to create a seamless referral program:
- Make it easily distributable: Because everyone these days is connected to the internet, you’ll want to be certain that your program can be shared on social media networks. If your incentive is big enough for customers, they will be sufficiently motivated to spread the word about your product or service to others. Make it simple for people to receive rewards: The less obstacles your consumer needs to overcome, the better off they will be. Regardless matter how devoted a client is, they will not want to participate in your referral program if they discover that there are five more procedures they must complete before they can receive their reward.
Starbucks Rewards, which is one of the most popular loyalty programs in the world, is a fantastic example of a seamless reward system in action. You may directly access the rewards of the program by receiving notifications through a mobile app on your phone. Starbucks’ rewards program has proven to be so popular that customers of the program placed $1 billion onto their cards in 2016.
Get the word out
Establishing and maintaining a referral program is only the beginning; you must market it in the same way you would a product before anybody would be interested in participating. The most straightforward method of accomplishing this is through time-based or triggered email marketing. When a consumer purchases anything from your company, you can send them a triggered email inviting them to share your referral link in order to receive a discount on their next purchase. Keap is a fantastic solution for managing your outgoing emails, and you should consider using it.
Aside from that, other frequent tactics include declaring on your social media channels that a referral program is now available, as well as holding competitions on social media platforms.
When you capture your consumers just after they make a purchase, they are most likely feeling good about themselves and eager to spread the word about your company at that moment.
Examples of referral programs from top brands
Dropbox Dropbox is one of the most well-known referral systems, and it is based on a simple concept: provide consumers with rewards that are complementary to the reasons they are customers. Customers and their friends will receive an additional 500MB to 16GB of free storage space as a result of the promotion. PayPal, which was already running a 2-way referral scheme in which both persons were compensated, served as an inspiration for the new company. Dropbox jumped in and began offering referral bonuses to both existing users and new clients.
PayPal PayPal’s referral program assisted the company in achieving a daily growth rate of 7 percent, resulting in the company’s client base increasing to 100 million people.
The initiative required PayPal paying users to invite their friends, and after the required number of participants had been reached, the campaign was terminated.
Have you begun planning for the year 2020 yet? If you’re not sure where to begin, download our strategic planning tool for small businesses: Keap (@KeapGrowing) posted a message on December 7, 2019.
What should you do now that you have the knowledge and skills to successfully integrate a referral program into your internet business? Implementation! Get to work using the many strategies outlined in this article to create a robust referral program that you and your customers will be proud to share with their friends. Keep in mind that, in order to get real results, your program must be advertised in the same way that any other product would be promoted. Spread the word about Keap and make money in the process.
Get started by clicking on the link below.
Subscribe to our newsletter
What should you do next now that you have the knowledge and skills to successfully integrate a referral program into your internet business? Implementation! Get to work using the many strategies outlined in this article to create a robust referral program that you and your clients will be proud to share with their networks. To obtain significant results from your program, remember that it must be advertised in the same manner as any other product. Earn money by spreading the word about Keap! We’ll pay you $100 for every successful referral you send our way to Keap and Infusionsoft by Keap!
How to Create a Referral Program for Your Online Business
The fact is that while attracting new clients is crucial, acquiring their confidence and then converting them into loyal customers is the most critical factor in growing your business and boosting your profits. Despite this, this is one of the most difficult tasks a marketer may undertake in his or her career. A referral program can intervene at this point and assist to mold the loyalty of your consumers in a positive way. Let’s take a look at the ins and outs of referral programs for your e-commerce website today.
What is aReferral Program?
It goes without saying that, although attracting new consumers is crucial, winning their confidence and being able to convert those customers into loyal, long-term clients is critical to boosting revenue. As a marketer, though, this is one of the most difficult assignments you will ever undertake. A referral program can intervene at this point and help to mold the loyalty of your consumers in an effective manner. Now, let’s take a look at the ins and outs of referral programs for your e-commerce business.
Why are Referrals Important?
Trusting someone you know personally, hearing about an industry product or service that they love, and acting on that information with confidence are all factors that contribute to referrals. Customers who engage with your business as a result of a referral are more likely than those who do not engage with your business as a result of a referral to appreciate your product or service more fully, and they are even more likely to recommend your business to others. This is due to the fact that individuals automatically connect when they share like interests, attitudes, and even purchasing patterns.
The fact that referral leads convert at a rate 30 percent greater than leads from any other source has demonstrated that this is the case in practice.
The management of a referral program may be complicated due to the several essential metrics that must be managed, such as reach, sharing rate, conversion rate, and return on investment. However, the value of recommendations cannot be overstated because they are extremely effective.
3 Types of Referral Program Examples foreCommerceWebsite
Trusting someone you know personally, hearing about an industry product or service that they like, and acting on that information with confidence are all factors that contribute to referrals. Customers who connect with your business as a result of a recommendation are more likely than those who do not contact with your business as a result of a referral to enjoy your product or service more fully, and they are much more likely to suggest your business to their friends and colleagues. The reason for this is that individuals instinctively bond when they share same interests, attitudes, and purchasing patterns.
The fact that referral leads convert at a rate 30 percent greater than leads from any other source has demonstrated that this is accurate.